IF WAR BREAKS OUT
Signs from the San Francisco Peace Rally
March 15, 2003
The very well organized demonstrations
in San Francisco today were a peaceful testiment to this city's commitment
to the anti war effort. The environment felt more like a parade
and festival than a demonstration, though. I guess it was all the
vendors at either end of the parade route, the massive PA systems, the
portajohns, the yellow vests all the organizers where wearing...
The police kept a respectful distance, and everyone stayed well within
the lines of acceptible behavour. A little boring; no tear gas,
no riot, no arrests (that I saw). Only two police officers on rooftop,
no drawn or tripod mounted guns. Police helicopters circled for
about two hours. Several bus-sized paddy wagons went unused.
This is the fourth protest in Five months in San Francisco.
In addition to at least 100,000 protestors, there was a marching
band, a few gaint-headed costumed individuals holding dead iraqi puppets
children. There were some nice constumes (including three girls
in translucent dresses and black negligee'; ) and two or three separate
drumming groups. The Parade route started at the civic center,
went for about ten blocks in close to a loop, and then ended at a park
who's name escapes me... There were speakers, hip-hop groups (Red
Dawn), dancing troups, and, well a very large turnout. The message
of the event expressed in two part chant, sign, flyer, and teeshirt, button,
sticker, etc. was:
- IF WAR BREAKS OUT, WALK OUT!
- Stop Mad Cowboy Disease
- REGIME CHANGE BEGINS AT HOME.
- How many oil executives does it take to screw in a dictator?
- Bomb a parent, Create a terrorist.
- You can bomb the world to pieces
You can't bomb the world to peace.
- Stop World War W.
- If war is inevitable, Draft SUV drivers now.
- Disarm by Example
- Preemptive Impeachment
- Side one: I'm a drunk driving, pretzel choking, election stealing
corporate puppet. What can I say?
Side two: Let me put it to you this way: I am not a revengeful
- WAR IS SO RETRO
- Wake up America, Its happening here!
- Embarrassed by my President
- Don't hurt those Arab Hotties!
- Its stupid, STUPID!
- Bush is Lubed up for war
- Redneck Go Back to Texas
- Feral People Against War
- How did Our oil get underneith Their Sand?
- We can't impeach a president we didn't elect.
- Bush-Blair-Sharon, Axis of Evil--Why we need a world court.
- WAR ORPHANS MAKE GREAT TERRORISTS
- Impeach Bush, the U.N. Bomber
- The first gulf war produced Timothy McVeigh. What will this
- Give Impeachment a Chance
- If reason can't reach him, we must impeach him.
- dubya dubya dubya.bushoncrack.com
- Bush is a moron. Don't let him get
his war on!
- Stop mass murder! www.votetoimpeach.com
- First strike, We're all out!
- Bush is a WANKSTA
- Sexy French Women for Peace
- Dumb Blonds against Wars
- Beards for Peace (carried by Hassidic Jew)
- Midlife Menopausal Hippies for peace
- Bush for Lawn Ornament
- Make faces not war
- Dead does not equal free
- Jurasic Bush (complete with mockup of movie logo)
- Bush needs a time out
- Bush = Sauron
- Al Quada, IraQ.
we already have a clear link!
- to bomb a nation is abomination
- Realize Real Lies
- Just say D'oh to war (yah, complete with Homer graphic)
- (chant:) "From Iraq to the Philipenes We're gonna stop the US
- (chant:) "a: War in Iraq! b: Not in OUR NAME"
- Smush Bush
- War is Bush Shit
- Lost Bellicose Moron: [insert picture here] If found,
please return to The Hague
- Laura, please trim your unruly Bush
- It has become appallingly clear our technology has surpassed our Humanity.
- UnCheney my Heart.
- Help! My country is being held hostage by an outlaw regime!
- Preemptive Invasion is a job for Hitler and Stalin, not my president!
- If you can't take care of your own country, how can you take care
The only misplaced oportunism I saw was one man selling two styles of
teeshirt. One said, "Say no to war." The other had
only a picture of Che Guevera on it... I stared on, puzzeled for
a moment. I was going to confront the vendor and protest, but as
an ineffectual intellectual, I could kinda relate so I let it stand.